Then he asked them, “Where is your faith?” The disciples were terrified and amazed. “Who is this man?” they asked each other. “When he gives a command, even the wind and waves obey him!”Luke 8:25 (NLT)
Aww man! I can’t believe I got so busy over the Resurrection weekend that I didn’t get a chance to publish this post until now. I started writing my first Easter sermon and it took all of the time I had because I wanted to make sure it would be something people could relate to and see Jesus for the Savior He is. Here is a snippet of it:
What Manner Of Man Is This or, Who Is This Man was a topic that was born in my thoughts while I talked to another preacher about the sacrifice Jesus made for us. I started thinking about Jesus as a man, deciding He would suffer the pain and indignation of a punished criminal when He didn’t have to.
Jesus had already been crucified and laid in a borrowed tomb that belonged to a rich man named Joseph. I thought borrowed. When you borrow something you plan on giving it back when you’re finished. There was no need for Jesus to keep the tomb because He would rise three days after His burial, and return the tomb back to Joseph.
Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to the tomb but they didn’t find Jesus there. He was alive! They met Jesus on their way back to the disciples and He gave them instructions to give to the disciples. They gave the disciples the instructions Jesus sent. On that evening Jesus came to them.
John 20:19 – Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, “Peace be with you.”
I could see them sitting around talking, wondering what would be their next move and what to do next. When we lose a loved one, we tend to sit around and talk about their life and how they affected us. I can imagine the disciples were doing the same thing even though they were if fear of what the Jews would do to them.
- They probably talked about how Jesus turned water into wine (John 2:1-11)
- Maybe they talked about Jesus healing a man who had been lame for 38 years and spent most of his time waiting for the waters at the pool of Bethesda to be troubled. John 5:1-9
- Peter probably talked about the time Jesus told him to go out a little further and cast his net into the deep, and he caught so many fish it broke his net. Luke 5:1-11
- I’m sure they talked about the time Jesus rebuked the winds and the sea. They were amazed and said: “What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him!”– Matthew 8:23-27
- What manner of man is this that would go against a legion (3-6k) of demons that tormented a man living in tombs, and cast every one of the demons out of the man? Luke 8:26-39
- What manner of man is this who could take 5 loaves and 2 fish, and feed 5,000 men, plus women and children? And have 12 baskets of leftovers. Matthew 14:14-21
- Peter probably remembered Jesus walking on water. How he went to Jesus, lost His focus and sank but Jesus reached into the deep and pull Peter to safety. Mark 6:45-52
- What manner of man is this who raised Lazarus from the dead?
- What manner of man is this that would take the time to put a temple guard’s ear back on when Peter cut it off? John 11:17-44
- What manner of man is this who is the king of Israel but would choose to ride on a donkey instead of a horse and be humble and die for us?
- What manner of man is this who would take the punishment and death we deserve for our sinful ways?
- What manner of man who would love us enough to lay down His life for all of us.
- What manner of man would take being beaten beyond recognition, spat on, tortured and mocked for us?
- What manner of man is this that would look down at His accusers, tormenters, and mockers and say:
- “Father forgive them for they know not what they do.”
- Before Jesus met them in Galilee the disciples were troubled and uncertain. Just like we can be sometimes.
- All we have to do is turn our uncertainties over to Jesus
- BECAUSE HE LIVES!!!